Saturday, March 24, 2012



Its been so long since I've posted anything, let alone art! Let's just say I'm just now getting over a bad case of  "artist's block" :P I have been working on a particular painting since September! I just wasn't feeling it, but decided to just work through it. I'm almost done though, which will allow me to focus on a few other projects (I've got a series of paintings and a series of drawings that I've been trying to get started)!

But last week I stumbled upon something I've been totally stoked about since! I came across a bunch of amazing photos taken by Tom Seipel, a full time missionary living in Managua, Nicaragua. I met Tom last summer during my internship, and was blessed to be able to work alongside him. Not only is it obvious he loves the kids we were serving, but it's also obvious he loves the Lord big time. But I didn't know he is such a good photographer! He's even going to let me use them to help me with the series of drawings I will be starting soon!

The photos I came across are of a few of the girls currently living at Casa Havilah. This is a home for thirteen girls (though it may now be fourteen. I believe the new girl is named Luz! I never got to meet her, but have known of her for quite some time. If that's not her name, please let me know :P) that previously lived in the garbage dump and it's surrounding areas. Each of these girls struggle daily, dealing with their painful pasts and current situations with their families. They have endured all kinds of abuse- things most of us can't even imagine.
*****^^^ Tom cleared it up for me- Luz is not her name, it is Karen! And there are actually ten girls at Havilah now days :/

The week we (the interns) lived with the girls at Casa Havilah, was actually the hardest week of internship for me. One girl, the youngest, sat us down and told us the awful things that happen to her when she goes home. I was sad and frustrated to think that this is what happens to so many children. I constantly had to reflect on the Lord's promises and the hope we have in Him. But I was also so blessed that week. The girls are amazing, and I can see the Lord working in their lives.

What I really love about these photos, is that they really capture the girls' personalities (especially the ones of Ashley, the ultimate model :P). Ashley is super spunky... Jaquiline is just sweet... Marie Elena is shy... Pamela has the most amazing smile in the world (I know that's not a personality ;])... just check out the photos and you'll see what I'm talking about ;]








 




I really have no clue what the girls are doing in that previous picture. But I still like it! Now we just need to get Tom to take pictures of all the girls at Havilah, and Casa Robles (home for boys) :P He definitely has a gift!





For more of his photos or for bigger sizes, please check out his facebook!























^^Another photo taken at Los Brasiles, a school!

Thanks Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment