Friday, November 26, 2010

"We are not giving them fish, we are teaching THEM to give fish."

Finally, some time to get caught up!

A few weeks ago was Forward Edge International's annual banquet! I got to help set up the "World Market", which was basically a bunch of booths set up, each representing different projects FEI runs. Nothing was sold, rather it was an opportunity to share pictures and information about Homes for Vulnerable Children, Disaster Response and Construction, Jobs for Life, Feeding the Hungry, Medical Care, and Clean Water Projects. FEI serves in several places around the world, including Haiti, Mexico and Kenya (these are just a few! For more information, visit forwardedge.org)!

I was incredibly excited to finally meet some of the FEI staff! It was amazing to serve and talk with them! I finally met the one who has helped me immensely with this art project and any other questions I've EVER had, Carma Roetcisoender, the Communications and Child Sponsorship Director. She introduced me to her amazing parents, and her mom, also an artist, gave me tons of advise! Oh, and I even got to meet Joe Anfuso, the founder of FEI!!! Huge!

Rick and Val hooks to my right, Jeff and Kris Thompson to my left! I met the Thompsons at Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, where they currently live! It was AWESOME to see them again!!!


It was very exciting when the event began. I got to hang out at the Homes for Vulnerable Children booth, and answer any questions people may have had, and to share my passion. Each of us at the booths got to wear shirts that say "Ask me about ____", and many people were stumped at mine, as I filled mine in with "Miurel :]". Turns out it's a good thing that nobody knows how to say it, because many people asked me, so many people found out who this little girl is! So I want to take some time to share a little about Miurel,the little girl from Villa Esperanza that I sponsor!

Miurel at Villa Esperanza (photo from FEI's site)
Miurel living at the dump



















Miurel, eight years old, is the youngest girl currently living at Villa Esperanza. I like to say she is 99% sass and 1% adorable. She is a feisty girl, but when you give her a chance, she is sooooo sweet! The Lord has taught me a ton from this little girl, too much to mention in this post. This is written of her on the Child Sponsorship poster, "Miurel’s mother worked very hard, and often left Miurel and her siblings in their sister Alondra’s care. Miurel told us she really wants to grow up to be “...a princess and look clean and pretty!”... " It's interesting- most little girls want to be a princess because of their fairytale life and prince charming. Miurel simply wants to be clean! Well, I think she's ALWAYS been a princess.

I've always wondered about her father, and never heard anything about him until the night of the banquet. Let's just say it was a little hard to take, and  I find myself hoping I just misunderstood what was said. I can't wait to see her again, and hug her big time (if she'll let me... like I said... she's feisty!).

I learned a lot more disturbing things about the girls at Villa Esperanza that night :[ Papa Wilbert (him and his wife started Villa Esperanza. It was also great to see him again!!) spoke and shared some stories about a few girls. A pastor from Haiti also shared his story and what is going on there. It's hard to imagine children eating mud, full of worms and parasites, to fill their hungry tummies :[

Despite a ton of sad news, it was a night full of celebration (there were beautiful African dancers as well!!!)! Over 540 people attended, and they raised over $176,000, all of which will be given to those in need. It's truly amazing to think of all the Lord has done, and continues to do, in not only the lives of those FEI serves, but in our lives as well. My life has changed because of what the Lord has taught me since my trip to Nica. So with that, I want to leave you with an image of Villa Esperanza, a pastel I did for the event!

"I am not forgotten, I am not forgotten, He calls me by my name" 
:]


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Nicaragua changed my life, Jessica. I won't ever be the person I was before I went there. My heart is so burdened for these children who deserve to be released from the poverty that restrains them.

    I love your heart. We still need to meet!

    ReplyDelete