Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wendi :]

I apologize for the delay in updates! I think these past few weeks have been busy for everyone!

But I have some news, which is somewhat old :[ But I'm still totally excited, so I wanted to share it with all of you!

Many of you may know of Kris Blais, an amazing photographer. He has taken several photographs for FEI, many of which have been taken in Nicaragua. I have heard so much about him over the years, and have followed his blog posts on the Summit View Missions' Blog as he served in Nica. I even went to Nicaragua with his sister, Desi! She told me all about how he met Jen in Nicaragua, who he is now married to. Kris and Jen are pretty much famous :P

When I started this art project, Kelli Blais, Kris' mom, found out and asked me to do a painting for Kris and Jen as their wedding gift. Well, I jumped right on that opportunity! Kelli told me a little bit more about them and where their heart is. They both fell in love with a little girl living in La Chureca (the dump in Nicaragua) named Wendi. After reviewing posts on Summit View's blog, I knew exactly what I would paint.

"Today was moving. We took 18 kids from La Chureca to the beach. We had a cabana all to ourselves, horses to ride and an ATV. We played in the water, ate together, and experienced joy together. I fell in love with these kids today. I think that's what God wanted. God wanted me to fall in love with them. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have felt anything when we dropped them off. Falling in love with those kids made it so that when I am called to do something to help them... I will do it with all of my heart, all of my soul and all of my strength. God I want to help these kids. Thank you so much for everything God. Thank you for the struggle of letting go. Thank you for the bus ride back where Wendy slept in my arms. Judy said to hold her tight because that could be the last time she is safe in a man's arms... unfortunately she was right. Thank you for delivering those kids from hell, even if just for a day. Thank you for giving them and us hope. Thank you for your Grace, your mercy, and your love. Please God, deliver those kids from La Chureca. Deliver them from the enemy's grasp. I pray that images and memories of today, and this week, will not fade like photographs. I pray that they will stay burned in our minds and in our hearts... so that we might act when you prompt us, that we may seek you in order to help them, and that we can join in your efforts to save these people. I love you God, and I saw your love today. Thank you." Written by Kris Blais, Summit View Missions' Blog

I read that just before starting the painting. My heart broke, and I almost couldn't do the painting because my eyes were full of tears and I couldn't see. It brought me back to how it felt holding those same kids, and how hard it is to let go. It's a terrible feeling, but thank the Lord for those experiences! And thank him for such reminders, as hard as it is!

I referred to two photographs Kris took, but added my own twist :P

Come to find out, Kelli was going to present the painting at their wedding reception which was held at an art gallery. Totally my first time showing ANY of my work in an ART gallery! Now, I knew it would be slightly awkward for me to be there, simply because I had never met Kris nor Jen. They kept looking at me, wondering who I was, and I couldn't really tell them why I was there. Let's just say, we had a few laughs with it.

It was hard to sit there without crying (oh come on, I haven't been able to stop the tears since my trip. Don't make fun of me :P) when Kelli stepped up to present the painting. She was talking about the children of Nicaragua, and Kris and Jen's passion for these kids. It was so exciting when she revealed the painting! To be honest, I was totally nervous, perhaps because a part of me questions whether it is any good. But when Jen came to hug me, I knew that's not what mattered.

I got some time to talk with both Kris and Jen, which was awesome! Kris gave me some advise and told me how he got involved with FEI. He also shared a little bit about Wendi, and how he just saw a recent picture of her. He said she looked sad, and it broke his heart.

Anyways, it was such an honor to meet them and Jen's family! I made new friends and great connections! Thank you Blais family for everything!


You can find Kris Blais' photography at
http://www.urbanedgephotography.net/
And Aaron Ziesemer took these pictures! He is also an amazing photographer! You can find his work at
http://klickerphotography.daportfolio.com/

1 comment: