Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Las Riquezas de la Gracia: Sara

Sara, seventeen years old, was picked at random for the first drawing of my new series, Las Riquezas de la Gracia (Spanish for "the riches of grace", for details on what this series is all about, please check out my previous post! This post will also explain what Villa Esperanza and La Chureca is)! I think it's fitting that she is the first, simply because of the way the Lord has been working in her life, and her incredible faith in what, at first, seemed impossible to her.

To this day I don't know the details of her past (don't need to know), but I do know that she struggled big time when first moving into Villa Esperanza. But I also know the Lord has done huge things in her life since He took her from her previous home, La Chureca, which is the city dump.

"My relationship with God wasn't very good before. I didn't go to church, I didn't believe in Him. I didn't think that God would help me with my problems and that I would always live in poverty. But now I'm seeing that God got me out of there, and is going to get my family out too. And now here in the Villa, they are teaching us to go to church, read more of the Bible, to pray and pray for others."


 I heard a lot about Sara before I ever met her. I heard a lot about how she was struggling when she first moved into the Villa and the different behaviors she had developed while living in the dump. To be completely honest, I was scared of her :/ and doubted whether or not her and I would get a chance to connect and begin a relationship- I wasn't sure if she would trust me. On my first trip to Villa Esperanza in March of 2010, I only interacted with her a few times, but I blame myself for that. On my second trip, in January of 2011, she sought me out, and blew me away.




On that second trip, I was given an opportunity to share something very personal with all the girls at Villa Esperanza. I shared about how the Lord used them to change my attitude toward someone in my life that I had struggled with for years, and because my change in attitude, the Lord was then able to restore this relationship. It was very exciting to be able to share with them the fact that there is hope in Christ, and that He can change hearts, whether your own, that of another, or both. I was able to share that Christ heals and restores people we don't think could ever change.

After sharing this, Sara gave me a huge smile, which I didn't expect at all, and asked to share something. She told me something extremely encouraging, and I know she had to have been attentive to what the Lord was wanting her to say. I remember standing there stunned, not sure what to say in response. The following day, she wrote me a letter, asking for prayers because of her relationship (or lack of) with someone in particular, and that she would be praying for me as well, especially about the newly restored relationship. Then, on our way to the beach, she showed me her photo album, and explained a little bit of her family dynamics. Suddenly it wasn't such a problem that I couldn't speak Spanish- we were comfy just sitting together. She let me in.

Sara was recently asked how people can be praying for her. She asks for prayer for her brother to come to know the Lord, family's health, and strengthened relationships with the other girls at Villa Esperanza. She is also very thankful for those who are praying, and for her sponsors.

So here is the drawing I did of Sara!

The Lord has not only rescued Sara from living in the garbage dump, but has also given her hope. He has taken someone who did not feel loved and safe, and provided for her and given her the opportunity to impact and encourage others (me!). He is continuing to prepare her for the plans He has for her, which are greater than she can probably fathom!

Please be praying for Sara and her family. Pray for the doubt that probably sneaks up on her- the doubt that she is loved and that there is hope. Pray that she will continue to trust the Lord and be obedient to His plans and guidance. Pray that she will feel encouraged as much as she encourages others.




If interested in sponsoring Sara or any of the girls currently living at Villa Esperanza, please click here!











 "Sonrie porque Dios esta contigo, ok!"
-"Smile because God is with you, ok!" Sara wrote on my letter :]

*A portion of the proceeds from this drawing will go directly to providing for Sara's needs at Villa Esperanza!

No comments:

Post a Comment