Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lavar





One thing I'm really looking forward to in returning to Nicaragua, is spending more time talking with the older girls at Villa Esperanza. I don't really know their stories or what their life was like when living in La Chureca (the dump). I only know a little bit about each of them, but I want to know so much more. This is why I really need to buckle down and study my Spanish!

Erminia y Alondra (from Villa Esperanza FB)
I did a painting similar to a pastel I had done a while back, only this one is inspired by the OLDER girls. I think of Alondra (who isn't really that much older) and how she took care of her younger siblings and cousins because her mama was always working (I'm not sure about her father). She wasn't even going to school. Sad to say, this is the case for many young women currently living in La Chureca. Two of her younger sisters, Miurel and Britany, are also living at the Villa. Only she's not the "mama" anymore


 So, I think you get the idea. It's inspired by the big sisters raising their families, missing their chance to be kids. It depicts a young woman with her brother going to the "washing machine" to do some laundry! In the background are just some homes (possibly made from Coca Cola boxes? You'll find that there! But no, I didn't paint that)

 (No, her hair isn't slimy, it's just the lovely glare ;])

Okay that's it for today! I'll have another one real soon, and I'm really excited about this one.

Oh, and Friday the secret will be out ( see previous posts) ;] I'm really excited about THIS one as well ! Big day, big week!

Thanks everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment