Friday, January 28, 2011

Bailamos!

The bus ride from the airport to Villa Esperanza was a tad on the hectic side when I came in March. It is actually one of the things I remember most from that trip. I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the hustle and bustle, especially because I was already STOKED to be there. But I mean come on... toddlers walking less than five centimeters away from speeding cars, weaving in and out... that's enough to make me pee my pants. But this time I felt prepared. I looked at everything with a new perspective, and was able to see things I didn't notice before. It's such a beautiful country, full of beautiful people, and I was reminded that this is where I want to be. I was still tempted to jump off the bus, hug some random stranger and go home with them forever.

(Thanks Spencer, for the awesome TRUCK pictures ;])

I was a spastic MESS when we drove into the Villa though. It's a weird feeling, driving through the Villa. It breaks your heart, but in a good way. Your heart sinks, because you know what a blessing this place is. Below is a picture of La Chureca, where the girls lived before, and one of the Villa.

(photo by Anita Dugan)


(Photo of Villa Espr by Hailey Thompson)

Notice the contrast?

When we saw the girls sitting on their front porches as we drove in, I was so incredibly excited. I think I annoyed everyone on my team, because I was so anxious to see them again. I wasn't sure if they would remember me or not. But some of them did! Ana was being tricky, and was asking what my name is, even after she said it at least fifteen times. And Miurel pranced right over after I waved her down. I wanted to cry, I was so excited to see her again (I'll write more about her later). And I think she knew how excited I was to see her. I was surprised that Kenia (one of the new girls who came in November) knew who I was. I wrote her a letter when she first moved in, but the picture didn't look anything like the sweaty, teary eyed mess that I was when I met her in person. And that was the night I found out about a skill Kenia has, one that all the girls have embraced (and one that our team had to embrace, whether we knew how to dance or not!)... ...

THEY LOVE TO DANCE!!!


 Most of our time with the girls that night was spent dancing. Running in circles and dancing. Laughing. And dancing. And dancing. And laughing. And running in circles. And laughing.

It's amazing to think of how much joy these girls have, especially the new ones. I love seeing them laugh and smile. When I think about where they were and who they were before moving into Villa Esperanza, I can't help but thank the Lord. It's hard for me to imagine what each of them have been through, and to think of how forgiving and loving they have become. At such a young age, they have learned so much more about love, than most of us learn in a lifetime.

So that was a tiny summary of our arrival. Soon I'll post about the next day! One day down!

No comments:

Post a Comment