Thursday, February 3, 2011

This one is SUPER short...

El Faro! So it was Sunday morning, and you can be sure I was super stoked to go back to El Faro (the church just outside of the dump). Sat with Ana on the way there (she still stares and smiles at you the entire time!). Sang a few familiar songs that I couldn't remember in English, and prepared myself for another great day in Nica.
Ana directed me to the same area we sat in before. After a few songs, she left me for a few minutes and I figured she was just mad at me again (she gets mad at me a lot :P). But then I felt a tap on my elbow, and there was the same little girl Ana made me sit with last year. I still have no idea what her name is, but I had no trouble recognizing her, and she seemed to remember me as well. She gave me a huge smile and jumped into my arms. Pretty soon it started to get overwhelmingly hot and my arms were shaking from holding her (she got much bigger over the last few months you know and I WAS holding her for a long time), but I didn't DARE put her down. I wish I could have held her forever.


When we sat down, I couldn't help but look at her feet. They were swollen with cuts and scrapes all over them. Both her feet and sandals were CAKED in dirt. Her dingy green leggings had holes and tears in them. I was holding a girl who had just come from the dump where she lives, and will be returning an hour later.

In that moment, I felt as if there was nothing I could do for this little girl. I can't change anything for her. I can't give her a new home, I can't keep her stomach full, I can't clean her up, I can't keep the men in the dump from hurting her. Nothing. I could only pray.
But the Lord snapped me out of that right away.  There was something I could do for her, which I had already started doing last year. I could love her, but ultimately share the Lord's love for her. Let her know that she is loved so much, more than she could ever fully understand. That she is not forgotten.
Then it was time for the kiddos to go to Sunday school, and she had to leave me :[ 

When the kiddos left, a woman named Sienna came to sit next to me. She is somehow related to the little girl I was holding. She was very shy but very sweet, and giggled at me a lot. She kept pointing to my FEI bracelet and I eventually put it together that she REALLY wanted it for herself. I gave it to her as we said goodbye, and she held it in her hand for a few moments, staring at it as if it were the most valuable item she has ever held. When she looked up at me with a smile, I could tell there were tears in her eyes. Now, usually I'm the first to hug people, but she beat me to the punch. It's amazing how something so simple brought tears to her eyes, and how much we take for granted. I tiny bracelet means so much to someone who lives in the dump.

The service was running a little late, so we had to sneak out, so I didn't get to find the other kids that attacked me last year. But I was still able to say goodbye to the little girl I sat with. I'm hoping I can see her again one day.

Now the rest of the day was... interesting. Ricky built a slip and slide at the Villa, and the girls had a blast!

 
That night was scary and amazing for me. It's always way easier for me to connect with little kids, than it is with older kids. I specifically wanted to TRY and connect with the older girls this trip. But when a few of us went to visit the girls in the evening, I went straight to the little girls house, afraid of the big girls. Derrrrr. Turns out, the little ones were not done eating, so that left Anita and I with the big ones. We decided to go to the new girls (the first 16 have been at the Villa for two years, the new 8 girls came last fall). I was so scared, but I knew I needed to do it.

Kenia ended up pulling me into the house (which is sort of a no no), and showed me a bulletin board they have on the wall. The picture I sent her a few months ago of my niece and I was smack dab in the middle. I couldn't believe it! All the new girls knew who I was because of that picture, that I almost didn't even send! So Anita and I tried to play Uno with them, but they decided it was way more important to dance. So they took us to the playground with the stereo, and everyone came over to dance and play (some of the other girls were painting their nails).
Maria del Carmen dancing with Tim

Senior Luisa with Ricky

Geyzell, Tio Pablo and Diana

Silly Nilly (I think that's how to spell it!) and Betty
Long story short, we had a dance party, and that was the night that started my relationships with the new older girls (and the night I began to trust the Lord even more, but I'll talk more about that later)! It gets better...

Geyzell, me, Maria del Carmen and little Britany down in front!

No comments:

Post a Comment