Wednesday, February 9, 2011

La Chureca (part one)

Now Monday was a cool day (well... every day in Nica is a cool day). It was La Chureca day!

La Chureca is Managua's city dump, where hundreds of families live. Many children face drugs, prostitution, and different forms of abuse. Families are often torn apart by poverty and illness. That's La Chureca in a nutshell, but there is so much more to it.

Photo by Anita Dugan :]
When I went to La Chureca for the first time last year, I didn't feel a thing. I wasn't shocked by anything. There is an inevitable sadness that you feel, but I didn't experience the overwhelming heartache you would expect to have. It wasn't until I got home that everything hit me, and you can imagine how much of a mess I was (but I was mostly a wreck because I missed the kids so much).

I wasn't worried about how I would handle the dump my second time. I was actually super excited, especially to see some kids! I was hoping to see some of the babies we met last year, hoping to see some growth and strength. But we met other kids, with faces I will never forget.

These two were crazy by the way :P
Miriam, Pastor Ramon's wife (from El Faro) walked us through La Chureca. The second home we went to will forever be in my thoughts and prayers. We met a woman named Lupe, who's family is trying to leave the dump. She shared a little bit about her family's story, and the things they have been through together. When she mentioned her husband, I wanted to hug her and never let go. The things she said about him as a husband and father, and how things have drastically changed over time (thanks to the Lord), reminds me of a certain person in my life, and how the Lord has changed things for us as well. Two men, once embracing harmful things, now following Christ and sharing the love of the Lord. Crazy!

My team and I praying for Lupe!

The Lord gave me a certain kind of perspective and understanding, beginning with Lupe. We met a lot of women in La Chureca, mama's and wives, who have endured the roughest of things in their marriages and family life. Abuse, hunger, abuse, illness, abuse... you name it (did I mention abuse?). What stood out to me was that they have stayed with their husbands, through it all, which is so different from the States. They have been through things most of us can't even imagine, but they are faithful, even if their husbands are not. These women are not stupid. They are not setting themselves up for a life of pain. They are simply trusting the Lord, praying for their family. They are putting others before themselves. I could go on and on, but to make the long story short, I have a new respect for these women, and a new respect for certain women in my own life.

Then the sweet Gamaliel invited us into his home again! The Lord has shaken up his world quite a bit over these years, and he is on his way out of the dump, taking his family with him! His story is amazing!


He used to sell clothes he sewed (super cute skirts by the way) out of scraps he found rummaging through the dump. This is huge for someone living in the dump. He hasn't been able to find as much "material" lately, so he also sells ice cream! His freezers continually break down or something wacky happens, but El Faro is there to back him up. He also works with El Faro as an accountant. There is so much peace in him, and he is a HUGE light for Christ within the dump. HUGE inspiration.

But enough with these old people, I want to talk about some kiddos!


These children are so beautiful. Forget the way they smell as they run around you. Forget the grime that rubs off on you when you hug them. Forget the lice that can potentially jump over to you as they rest their head on your shoulder. Forget whatever disease you may contract when you kiss their cheeks. It's all worth it. To see them smile, to hear them laugh... the Lord didn't reject us. Why should we reject them?

9 I took you from the ends of the earth,
   from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
   I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
-Isaiah 41:9-10


I've seen so many pictures and heard so many stories about Scarleth and Erminia's (sisters living at Villa Esperanza) family, but to actually meet one of her brothers at the dump was SO cool. They all look so much alike. And to see him smile?! You KNOW these girls have GOT to be sharing the peace they've received from the Lord over these two years at the Villa! He is such a sweet little guy. It's either him, or the other brother (I think there are two) that has HIV/AIDS. Their father recently died of the same disease, and now their mama has it. So sad.
Erminia and Scarleth's brother
My painting inspired by Wendi and Anthony
We also ran into a boy named Anthony, a boy very dear to Rick and Val Hooks, as well as the entire Blais family. I wrote about his sister Wendi a few months ago, because I did a painting inspired by these two for Kris and Jen Blais' wedding. Wendi is now living with a family OUTSIDE of the dump (in other words- she is safe and has a full tummy), so that is REALLY great news!

Rrrrricky and Anthony
I didn't actually get to meet him, which is a total bummer, but our group had to continue and I wanted Rricky to have some time with him. But it was somewhat surreal to actually see him in person. I painted this boy (sounds like total creep status). I mean, I've met others I've painted, but this was just weird. Maybe it's because I know where he is, I know what dangers he is surrounded by.

And the babies??? Oh my lands!!!


Hailey was trying to rip the baby away from me...


Yeah... I was pretty much in love... not much else I can say...

After we walked through the dump, we went to El Faro, where I met my new friend Maria! But I'll have to post that one at a later time, otherwise you will be reading this for hours.

Before I wrap this up though, I want to share one last thing regarding La Chureca. Some of my team members saw a young girl with a truck driver when we pulled into La Chureca. The truck drivers actually take advantage of little girls (sexually), as the girls are desperate for the first pick of the trash. These are little girls we're talking about. This happens every day. Please be praying for these girls. Please be praying for everyone living in the dump. Just pray.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Father for your love and protection and for allowing Jessica to see the people You love and care about. May You continue to keep her heart tender toward those less fortunate in the eyes of man but not disregarded by You.

    ReplyDelete