Saturday, February 12, 2011

La Chureca (part two)


 After we walked through parts of the dump, we headed over to El Faro for a few minutes (which serves as a daycare during the weekdays for the kids living in the dump), where I met my new friend Maria (I know, there's a million Marias). But before we were able to actually play with them, I stood and watched them (I know I keep sounding like a creeper, but I promise I'm not!). The babies were crying. The ladies working there were trying to stay calm as they tried feeding all the babies. A little boy slid down the tiny slide 10083.97 times and had a smile on his face the entire time, as if it were his biggest accomplishment. A little girl just stood there screaming at the top of her lungs and running away every time someone went near her. You get the idea.

As I watched them, I stood in astonishment at how the Lord brought me back to this place. I fell in love with these kids last year, and He gave me another chance to be with them. I honestly don't believe I have ever been so thankful in my life. He has given me so much joy in being with these kids. I actually can't even fully explain how much I love them- I can't wrap my mind around it. Each of them are so incredibly beautiful, and it kills me to think of anyone hurting them.

Boy I met last year, I will never forget those eyes!
I was still in this thankful/ astonished/ teary eyed daze when Susie let us hop over to play with them for a few minutes, so I wasn't really a big help when it came to feeding the babies. I decided to sit down next to two little girls, Maria and Blanca. I later found out that they are sisters.


Long story short, Maria and I are now BFF's (Don't worry- Miurel is still "mi amorcita" ;]). Maria, Blanca, their mama and a baby rode the bus with us back to La Chureca, where we got to play a little bit more.

We went back to La Chureca to feed some kids! El Faro serves lunch every day for tons of kids. For most, it is their ONLY meal for the whole day. If I remember correctly, they also try to teach the kids at least one Bible verse a day.


It was so incredible to help serve these kids. By far, it is one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had: to watch these kids politely accept the food you hand them, with huge smiles on their faces. To play a small role in filling their empty tummies, even if it didn't last long. They were so grateful, and I was so grateful, not only for the opportunity, but for the eye opener.

Annie and Amber workin it in the kitchen


 But then to top it off, the CUTEST old man (standing next to me in the above picture) and I worked together. His name is Francisco, and he was so, so, so, so sweet. I think I said "gracias" to him a million times, because it's pretty much all I know, and each time he just gave me the cutest, most sincere smile ever. I wish I had time to talk with him. I couldn't help but wonder who he is and what his story is. Does he live in the dump? Does he have a family? Does he know Christ? Is he respected? Guhh, what a cutie!

But the kids!




I don't think she wanted her picture taken...

Maria, Mario and Blanca (the sisters)
When they were done eating, we were all attacked. The kids went crazy and we all had a good time ;]

Spencer being attacked...
Tim being attacked...
Val attacking baby Cecelia, who has downs syndrome

Me, Carla and baby Cecelia

Spencer being attacked again...

Hailey and Annie with Carla, Cecelia, and I don't know the girl in the red!


Awwww, Ken being attacked!

My sweet Maria and I! :]

Amber's turn!

Andrew and Loco boy!

Spencer, Tim and Ken


Tio Pablo with Susie's BFF! He LOVES Susie! "Susie! Mi amor!"

Yet ANOTHER Maria and I!
 What's amazing about this whole experience, is that I think they enjoyed being with US more than eating the only food they have. It's also incredible how trusting these kids are, especially with us as strangers. No doubt, they have been physically harmed, but they are ready to jump in your arms and hug and squeeze you till you can't breathe. You don't even have to make eye contact- they will find you and smother you in hugs and laughter. And they will get you, even if you don't want them to. I watched one of my team members go from hating kids, to loving these kids. I totally knew it would happen, of course ;]

I didn't want to leave, but we had to head back to El Faro to do some maintenance work. I just stuck with sweeping- I can't mess anything up with that ;]

Later that night, back at the Villa, we had another great night with the girls! Anita and I sat with Gissel (one of the NEW older girls) and had a bucket load of laughs. This girl is hilarious. She LOVES to mess with people. We eventually ended up interrupting Andrew's journaling time, and decided to write a note in his journal:
She decided I am a cow and Anita is a gecko... but everyone is crazy, and she loves us... ;]

Me, Gissel and Anita
I'm not entirely sure what the other girls were up to though... 



... but they looked like they had fun!

 Whew! That's Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment