Friday, June 24, 2011

The "Narrow Gate"

So I didn't get a chance to explain what I'll be doing for my internship in Nica! I need to do that before I go onto what's already happened this week.

I have Internet access, but I'll only have it when I'm in certain spots on the property. So please be patient with me as I try to keep this updated! I also won't have much time, so I apologize for keeping everything super short and choppy!

When I got back from my trip to Nica in January, I was contacted by Ayla Fox, who had previously lived there for a few months. She was an intern at Casa Havilah, another home for at-risk girls that have been through all kinds of tragedies. She asked me if I had any paintings available, but I thought it would be fun to do a custom one for her- I didn't realize that the Lord was totally opening a HUGE door for me.

She told me a bit about one of the little girls she connected with the most: "Joseling means the world to me. From day one we were inseperable and it has been extremely difficult for me to be apart from her. We have been able to Skype a couple of times and it breaks my heart to see her growing taller and bigger, but she is still my "mani" which means peanut. God used my relationship with Joseling to reflect my relationship with Him and the tendancies I have towards honoring and trusting Him with my well being."


She sent me her favorite photo of Joseling, and wanted me to incorporate La Chureca in it, the city dump hundreds of people call home. "I had gone on a week long missions trip a year and a half before I started my intership at Casa Havilah and was taken on a tour of La Chureca, the city's dump where hundreds of families live and work, finding anything of value among the garbage that is brought it. The man guiding the tour had the whole bus be silent as we entered and just listen to God. Before Christ our lives looked like a dump, sin is garbage, and we have a lot of it, but God picks us out of that former life and makes us white as snow, spotless like His Son. I wanted to have La Chureca in the background with "my daughter" in the foreground because she came from ugliness, and is growing into a beautiful daughter of the King. Genesis 2:11 is where Casa Havilah derives it's name. Talking about the regions in the garden Havilah is an area of land where the river of Phison runs, and below the surface there is gold. A speaker once told me the Hebrew meaning of Havilah is suffering, and its actually quite fitting. The water from the river (Holy Spirit) cuts through Havilah (suffering) and exposes the gold that lies beneath."


While talking with Ayla and getting to know her, she told me about the internship she was apart of, and told me I should "befriend" someone who would have a lot of really good photos for me to look at. This person was currently still interning at Casa Havilah, and told me that she would be leaving soon, meaning there would be a need for another intern. We began to explore the possibility of me replacing her, but discovered that there are definitely some changes that need to be made for Casa Havilah, but she then put me in contact with the top dogs- the Buzbee family in charge of the whole shindig aka "Open Hearts", an organization with different ministries throughout Nicaragua.

While communicating with them, they introduced me to the "Narrow Gate" internship. This internship is a six week program of studying the Lord's word as well as spending a significant amount of time serving the communities here in Managua, Nicaragua. At first I thought it sounded psycho for me- quit my job only to come back home to no job a few weeks later???? But I couldn't let go of the idea, and soon realized the Lord was laying it on my heart- big time!

After a lot of prayer, I decided to be obedient to what I didn't totally understand at the time. I wasn't sure if the money would come through, but quickly realized how foolish we can be in doubting the Lord. My church stood beside me and have supported me this entire time. It's still hard for me to completely fathom how generous and supportive the members of my church have been. In so thankful the Lord sent me there.

Obviously the money came through and I'm sitting here in this beautiful country writing this (bugs and all!). I've been here for a week, and we've done so much already. I look back at when Ayla sent me a message, and I wouldn't have been able to tell you, that because the Lord introduced me to her, I would be in the very place I love, doing what I love.

The other day we took the girls from Casa Havilah and the boys from Casa Robles (home for boys) to see a movie and go shoe shopping. When I met Joseling, I showed her the painting I did for Ayla. No idea what she said... ... But she was excited!

I wondered which girl or boy I would connect with, the same way Ayla connected with Joseling. It took me back to when i first met the girls at Villa Esperanza, and connected so much with Miurel (totally saw her yesterday! Cute story, but ill have to write about it in another post). Soon enough, sweet Maria Elena wouldn't let go of my hand. We spent the whole time together. Chachi (his real name is Chris. He and Krista run the internship), showed me her previous house a few days ago- a tiny little shack in the dump just a few yards away from the landfill. I saw her tiny little brothers running around barefoot, breathing in the thick smoke that surrounds the dump. Here is another little girl who used to live in such an atrocious place, and who's family is still trapped there. How could you not have compassion for these people?


^^ Maria Elena ^^




She turned eleven last night, and I was able to attend her birthday party, which was a blast! I learned some mad dance skills! I danced a lot with Maria Elena, and even connected a lot with some of the other girls at Casa Havilah. Thank the Lord for nights like this where we can celebrate and create significant relationships! And to think I was worried I would never meet these girls!


Today we took the girls and boys on a trip to some property out in the country. Maria Elena fell asleep in my arms on the way there, and I spent the whole time praying for her specifically. Please pray for these girls and boys. They may be safe right now, and they may have three meals a day, but their scars are deep. They are carrying around so much baggage, more than we can imagine. Pray that they would understand how much the lord loves them.

Believe it or not, but we actually haven't had much time with either Casa Havilah or Casa Robles yet, as we have spent most of our time at Colegio de la Esperanza, the little school in La Chureca. I have soooooooo much to say about this last week, so keep a look out for that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment