Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Mi gringa! Mi gringa!"

 Oopsies! I thought I would have time throughout the internship to update everyone, but time literally flew by. I'm back in the states now :[ it ended too soon! Now I'm waiting for the Lord to send me back- back home.


The six weeks were PACKED with stuff, and it was all very sporadic, so I think it would be best if I simply wrote about the different locations we worked at, rather than explain everything in the order they happened- there was no order :p

It seems fitting that I should first write about La Chureca, seeing as how that's what first brought me to Nica over a year ago. This is also where a lot of our time was spent. I've written a lot about La Chureca in previous posts, but I'll summarize it a little for those that haven't read it before. There is a lot to write about, so bare with me!

La Chureca is Managua's city dump. Hundreds of people call the stinky garbage their home, most of which are children. Large families are packed into tiny shacks, made from garbage, along the landfill, which is covered by thick smoke (some days are worse than others). 


The children encounter drugs, prostitution, abuse in all forms, hunger, disease, etc.. They find themselves trapped in a constant cycle of darkness, violence and danger. They learn to communicate with swearing, criticism, arguing and physical abuse. This is all they know.


Most of our time in La Chureca involved the preschoolers from Colegio Cristiano de la Esperanza, which is located inside the dump. We spent our first week with them in the mornings while they were in class. Now anyone that knows me, knows I LOVE the "naughty" kids... and we totally had a class full of them!!!!! Although I've only had a short amount of time with kids from La Chureca in the past, I knew what to expect and wasn't surprised by how wild the kids are in class. Let's just say they couldn't get away with that kind of behavior in the states. Without a doubt some of them were saying atrocious things to my face- I don't need to be fluent in spanish to know this (although my Spanish is so much better, I promise!). But nothing they did could keep me from smiling and loving them. Cutest little buggers ever!




^^Xochil was probably the dirtiest kid we encountered. There was always something wrong with her skin, but you couldn't help but hug her! She is so sweet!^^
 
The teachers are extremely inspiring. Many of them live outside La Chureca and walk through the dump to work with these kids every day. I wonder if they know just how much the Lord is using them, and how their obedience and unconditional love is impacting the students. I strongly believe the kids aren't there just to learn to read or solve math problems, but come to understand how much they are loved and how much Christ loves them.

An example of this, is an interaction between one of the students, Francisco, and another intern. He was refusing to do what she told him to do, telling her that he doesn't have to listen to her because she is a woman. Later, he told her to "shut up" and swore at her. A few minutes later, his teacher, Elisa, told him that he is a "child of God, and children of God do not speak that way". Eventually he came up to the intern, hugged her and apologized. Awesome!
^^The famous Jose y Francisco! The biggest terrors on the planet, but such cuties!^^

And wouldn't you know it, I got myself a little dude (I tell ya- only in Nica!). His name is Moises aka David aka Gaytan (long story) and we were inseparable all week, starting on day one! He refused to let me sit with anyone else, and would sometimes beat up anyone that tried to pull me away- mostly Xochil (but he always let me play with Katerin for some reason). I had a talk with him after a few days, telling him to not hit or kick people that want to hug me. I told him that when I hug someone else, it does not mean I don't love him any less. He did good the following day, and when someone came to hug me, he joined in in a total cuddle fest. But then after a while he started busting out the brass knuckles, hitting people again. Don't we do the same things- we try to do good, but fail? Hhmmmm... We just can't do it on our own!
^^Isn't he just soooooo cute???^^

When I look at him, I wonder what he goes home to. I wonder what his parents are like, if he has parents at all. I wonder what kind of abuse he endures each day. How often is he told that he is loved? These are questions I have no answers to. I can only hope and pray that he turns out to be a good teenager. Many kids in La Chureca start drugs at an early age and get the girls pregnant. And I can only hope and pray that he turns out to be a good man. Walking through La Chureca, you'll see old men passed out from alcohol on the sides of the "roads". It would break my heart to discover Gaytan as one of these.

There is hope for these kids though. I was reminded of that as one of the other interns and I sat with Gaytan and Celeste one day, looking over a book with Bible stories. Gaytan got super excited when there was a picture of a baby, and explained to us that the baby was Jesus. I too was excited, simply because he knows of Christ. Celeste talked about Daniel in the lion's den, and how the Lord protected him. I pray these kids understand how the Lord can protect them as well. Maybe not in a physical sense, although the Lord can certainly do that, and that would be fantastic. But I mostly mean in regards to their hearts and minds, as they continue to live within the dump surrounded by such awful things.


A few of us took some time after school to walk around La Chureca, passing by the families. It was super sketch mostly because we were three girls from the sates with one guy who couldn't really keep the creepy old men from telling us they loved us while holding a switchblade. But I loved it when we saw our kids outside of the homes. They would get super sweet and giddy. Although we didn't talk much with them, we did get to meet some of their parents or families. I didn't realize at that time that many of their parents and family members already knew about the interns and I.

In the afternoons we would play games in the "field" right next to the landfill.




 ^^Johanna is such a little monkey...^^
At the end of the week, the school had a father's day celebration in which we were able to attend. There was only a handful of students that showed up with their fathers (the rest of the students had the day off, but could come around lunchtime to get their only meal). The kids performed dances, songs, poems, skits, etc., all for their dads!
 ^^Vanessa, Gretel y Celeste dancing. Then there's the cutie that got stage fright... ^^
^^Musical chairs!^^
It always amazes me when I see the love these kids have for their families, and how some stick together- you don't find that here in the states. People are so quick to rid family members out of their lives the moment they make a mistake. The families in La Chureca go through things most of us can't even imagine, but they are together. Every time I go to Nica, I'm reminded of that.
^^Pretty boy Manuel being a mope at the Father's Day Celebration. Maybe his dad wasn't there?^^
About a week later we went back to the school in the mornings to play with our preschoolers during recess. We were surprised to learn that they all had our names down and were STOKED to see us! They each picked one of us and claimed us as theirs. Apparently a few kids in the dump OWN me :p

In the afternoons we took the first graders to a VBS type thing with a team from Miami. We took them outside of La Chureca to a very nice sports center. They let me help with the craft projects!
^^Mi princessa, Marianna! She ALWAYS wore fancy dresses!^^
^^There's little Jesus! Look at that smile!!!^^
^^The other terror, Felix! Mi corazon!^^
^^Her name is fitting- Darling!^^
For many of them, this was their first time outside of La Chureca. Twice I got to go pick up the kids while the team set everything up, which I'm so thankful for. Waiting with these kids to be picked up was so much fun, especially since i was the only gringa around for them to play with- they totally took advantage of me :p but I was so blessed to have that "alone time" with these kids, which formed more relationships. I watched the kids line up in anticipation. They were sooooo excited! Their smiles were radiant at the thought of leaving! I too was excited to share that moment with them! Unfortunately it was an entirely different experience taking them home...

A few weeks later we returned with another team to roof some of the houses. The goal was to place plastic over the houses to keep the rain out. Now, there should be no surprise that I wasn't much help in this area. Seriously. I was very excited to simply hand a nail to someone.
And there should be no surprise that the moment I saw a kid, I was off to play with them. I just can't help myself...
I will never forget what happened next. I saw little Marlón, one of our preschoolers, with some people walking towards us, so I ran to hug him. He gave me a big smile and didn't want to let go. He introduced the woman with him as his mama, and the boy, Orlando, as his older brother. His mama gave me a hug and said Marlón told her all about his "tres amigas; Jessica, Amanda y Katrina". We made each of the students a little card weeks before, and he took it home to show his family. She was so excited to tell me all about it, as if I had no idea I ever gave him a card.
^^I miss little Marlon! How can you not love that face??!!^^

After playing some soccer with Marlón and Orlando, I sat with his Mama, grandma and aunt who is also his mom's cousin (something like that...). His mama is 26, and his aunt is 21. We sat together for hours despite the language barrier! I was able to show her photos I had of Marlón, and she made Orlando fetch her wedding pictures for me. She was so excited to show me!
^^Marlon's mama^^
I am so thankful for that time with them. It was the first time I truly realized how these kids are lights amongst their families. The kids take the things they learn about Christ home to their families. It was the first time I truly realized that the little time the Lord has given me with these kids doesn't just impact the kids, but their families as well- it's because our time with Marlón that I was able to begin a loving relationship with his mama! Then to top it off, Marlón and I had a total cuddle fest!

A few days later we took some if the kids to the zoo- which was just weird...
^^Kids lining up to go to the zoo. The three little guys on the left were in our class- Jeffry, Francisco y Fernando!^^

Again, for many this was their first time out of La Chureca. It was definitely Marlón's first time out, and he was so cute about the whole thing!

For literally every single animal he would say "Que bonito! Que bonito, Jessica!!!!". Every. Single. Animal. He is so cute!
^^Vanessa y Marlon didn't like Jose y Felix bombing the picture... but that's them!^^
It's interesting to share these moments with them. Going to the zoo, or simply leaving one's neighborhood is something people in the states take for granted. But a chance to step outside of La Chureca is a blessing for these kids.

The next day was a bittersweet day. We took some of the scholarship kids to the volcano. These are kids that did well at Colegio Cristiano de la Esperanza, which only goes through the sixth grade, and have the opportunity to further their education. We took some of them in ages ranging from eleven to seventeen. This was the first time we met any of them, and I'm very sad we didn't have more time with them because they are great kids.
It was a slightly weird feeling being with these kids. It was different from being with the little ones. These kids are closer to adulthood. They are closer to the time when things get a lot harder. When they start a family of their own. When they make an effort to finish school. When they make an effort to keep a good, respectable job. When they make an effort to leave La Chureca and the surrounding area. I look at them, and my heart aches, but it's full of hope. What kind of men will they be? What kind of women will they be? Lord, protect them.

Saying goodbye to them was hard for me, because I felt like we just said hello. It reminded me of the fact that I would be saying goodbye to Nica very soon, and i didn't like that reminder. The following week came too suddenly, and before I knew it, we were saying goodbye to the kids and families in La Chureca (dont worry- i held it together, mostly because I didn't have any more tears after saying goodbye to Los Cedros the day before, which I'll write about much later).

The first goodbye was especially difficult. Noel lives right around the corner of the school, and we always saw him in a tree doing something crazy. He always had a smile on his face, but always an ornery one! When we went to say goodbye, he was standing outside of the house with his family (really sweet family by the way!). He didn't move when he saw us, so his mama said we could go up to see him. She told us he was very sick, and we could figure that out the moment we reached him, causing him to start crying very, very hard(sorry, this might get a little icky). He was covered in scabs and open wounds full of puss and flies. He was very warm. It was very difficult to see him, a lively little dude, looking so sick and helpless. It was even harder to say goodbye to him in that condition. We couldn't pick him up and hug him. But we could pray with him and his family. We later found out that they were able to take him to the free clinic.

Then we were off to say the rest of our goodbyes :[ unfortunately we couldn't find a lot of our kids, especially my little Gaytan :[ I'm glad I told him I love him every single time I saw him.
^^Fernando is the worst model ever...^^
^^I have NO idea what was so funny... ^^
^^Saying goodbye to my little princessa, Marianna!^^
^^Marianna wanted me to take a picture of her house for you...^^
^^Goodbye sweet Marlon!!^^
^^This kid is such a goof. He is the toughest and probably scariest kid in La Chureca, and will bust your lip open, but will cry like a baby if he doesn't get to jump rope. I got to be "mama Jessica" with him, and hold him/ scratch his back until he would calm down. He's been my little baby since!^^
^^Part of Marlon's family :[ One of my previous paintings is of Wendy, the little one in pink!^^

La Chureca will always be a huge part of my life. People may think it's weird that I love walking through La Chureca- the danger, lice, disease, heartbreak, etc., is all worth it to be with these kids (thank the Lord we didn't have any problems!). The realities of this place is very difficult to accept, but there's a whole other reality of it. And that is of hope. I see hope when walking through La Chureca. I don't feel disgust, I feel excitement about what the Lord has already done, and what he will continue to do. Im aware of the hardships- how can you not be? The CHILD prostitution, abuse, hunger- its all obvious. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't pray for those kids and their families, because of that awareness. But it also puts a smile on my face, because I'm also aware that the Lord is changing the hearts of the people there.

How can a place like this not change your life?


Next I'll write about the rescue homes, Casa Havilah and Casa Robles!


No comments:

Post a Comment